Take the quiz below to discover how you might be getting in your own way, and what to do about it so you can have a practice that supports a truly nourishing life!
For each statement below (1-15), answer Always/Definitely, Usually/Mostly True, Occasionally/Somewhat True or Never/No Way.
1. I feel uneasy or guilty when asking for missed session fees.
2. I find myself waiving missed session fees even when there's a good reason not to.
3. I go through cycles of over-working and pushing myself, followed by feeling depleted and secretly relieved when people cancel.
4. I can go days or weeks without having contact with colleagues.
5. I tend to say yes to requests for me to volunteer my time without fully taking time to consider the consequences or evaluate the opportunity.
6. When someone requests a reduced fee, I tend to agree right away.
7. I believe I would need more training or another certification before I could charge a higher fee.
8. I set my fees based on what I think will be ok with the client.
9. I won't set a fee that is higher than that of my peers (or my former supervisor, or my therapist).
10. I find myself using most of my non-client time checking social media, zoning out on a screen, rather than doing something that would be personally nourishing or help me generate income.
11. I turn down or ignore opportunities that could be potentially lucrative or be a step toward having a bigger impact.
12. I don't return referral calls right away or don't clearly let potential clients know when they could expect a response.
13. I don't believe I could earn good money as a therapist, and don't expect to.
14. I'm not sure how much I earned last month, or what my expenses were in my practice.
15. I hope to make more money this year than last, but I don't have a clear goal in mind.
For the following statements (16-18),
16. I have a business savings account, with enough money to cover me for a stretch if the phone suddenly stops ringing.
17. I am earning enough to save for retirement, pay down debt, and take vacation.
18. I regularly schedule time dedicated to tracking and reviewing my numbers.
Total your points.
Before you click over to read the results, take a deep breath and offer yourself some compassion. You took this quiz, so you are clearly interested in knowing more about your relationship to money in your practice. And that's so important! Because as a therapist, you know you can't change anything until you become aware of what's happening.
You assume full responsibility for using the information on this site and you understand and agree that Deb Lyman, LCSW, Private Practice Consultation, and its affiliates are not responsible for any claim, loss, or damage resulting from its use by you or any user. Use of this site does not guarantee that you will earn a certain amount of money or gain a certain number of clients. Your success in your practice is influenced by a number of factors including the actions you take or don't take, and the market in which you are practicing. While I try to keep the information on the site as accurate as possible, I disclaim any warranty concerning its accuracy, timeliness, and completeness, and any other warranty, express or implied, including warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. If you find something in past posts that seems outdated or have questions please comment on that page or let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org I do not collect credit card information, but I do collect emails and send periodic information that may be helpful. This will never be more often than once weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time. I will never give or sell your email to a third party. I do not guarantee that the site will be error or virus free, though I use a secure web host. I provide access and links to other web sites for your convenience. Deb Lyman and Private Practice Consultation are not responsible for the availability, accuracy, or content of those external sites. Material on this site is protected by copyright law. Unless otherwise stated, users may print or download information from this site for personal, non-commercial use only, provided they identify the source of the material and include a statement that the materials are protected by copyright law. Beyond personal use, permission to reprint or otherwise reproduce any document in whole or in part is prohibited, unless prior written consent is obtained from the copyright owner. You may seek this permission by contacting email@example.com I wish you great success in building a nourishing, thriving practice.